Applications are open for the Open17 Challenge on Climate Justice 2022. Are you passionate about Climate Justice and have a project or an idea for a solution that supports individuals and communities’ preparedness for Climate Change? Then pitch your idea, prototype, or project that tackles specific Climate Justice challenges using crowdsourcing solutions.
Climate change affects all of us, but not in the same way. It will likely lead to inequalities within and across nations and between current and future generations. Climate Justice is a term used for framing global warming as an ethical and political issue, rather than one that is purely environmental or physical in nature.
They are interested in ideas for solutions that will help increase the preparedness for climate change of all individuals across the globe, and especially those most vulnerable. By using non-traditional data sources, from social media for example, to provide evidence on problematic and/or critical situations, you can affect national and regional policies.
Open17 Challenge on Climate Justice 2022 Benefits
Applicants for the Open17 Challenge can be rewarded for their participation in the challenge in two ways:
- Weekly €100 prizes for the best pitches submitted to the Challenge on the Goodwall platform (Aug-Sept 2022) evaluated by two members of the Crowd4SDG consortium, or…
- Travel and accommodation to attend a conference in Geneva (March 2023), to present projects that successfully completed the GEAR innovation cycle, based on the decision of a jury including both consortium and external members.
Up to €2,500 will be dedicated to the weekly prizes in Aug-Sept, for pitches submitted on the Goodwall social network. Up to €7,500 will be allocated to travel and accommodation to members of the two top teams, for attending the conference in March.
Open17 Challenge on Climate Justice 2022 Eligibility
- Open to any individual anywhere in the world;
- Applicants must be 16 or older;
- Applications must be in English, and participants should have a good command of written and spoken English.
Open17 Challenge on Climate Justice 2022 Selection Criteria
The selection criteria for your idea are Novelty, Relevance, Feasibility, and appropriate use of Crowdsourcing:
- Novelty – your pitch should be about your idea. Describe a specific challenge you want to solve in your community rather than general problems.
- Relevance – your idea should deal with Climate Justice, helping the most vulnerable to climate change build resilience in their communities
- Feasibility – Be ambitious but realistic: your idea should be something that you could achieve with some help from a few like-minded people.
- Crowdsourcing – Explain how you will inspire larger numbers of people to get involved in helping you achieve your idea by either gathering data or taking collective action.
These selection criteria will be used at all stages of the Open17 Challenge, and in particular to select individual applicants for €100 prizes during Aug-Sept 2022, and to cover travel and accommodation for members of top teams that are invited to participate in the conference in Geneva in March 2023.
- CWW Tech Africa Training & Internship Program 2022 for Young Africans
- Young Africa Works Mastercard Foundation 2022 /EDC Transforming Nigerian Youths Program
- The ‘Year of Youth’ edition of the Commonwealth Youth Awards (Up to £20,000 in prizes)
Open17 Challenge on Climate Justice 2022
Open17 Challenge on Climate Justice 2022 Application Deadline: September 30, 2022
Open17 Challenge on Climate Justice 2022 Application
- Register on the Goodwall Social Network (goodwall.io)
- Go to the #Open17ClimateJustice Challenge page on Goodwall
- Click on “Take Part” and select “Share a Post”
- Record and upload a 1-min video pitch about your idea
- In the Post title, make sure to add the hashtag #Open17ClimateJustice
The application deadline is September 30, midnight CEST
Ensure you provide a valid email address on your Goodwall page, when you register on Goodwall, for follow-up contact.
For more information, visit Open17 Challenge.