Deadline: March 14, 2022.
Kashim Ibrahim Fellowship for Young Nigerians 2022
The 2022 application for Kashim Ibrahim Fellowship is now open. The Kaduna State Government introduced its inaugural class of the Kashim Ibrahim Fellowship in August, 2018 with 16 Fellows from all over Nigeria participating in the one-year programme.
The Fellowship’s objective is to develop and nurture leadership ability across Nigeria, with specific focus on the promising leaders of the future. The one-year Fellowship aims to create a network of high potential young Nigerians who are expected to rise to top leadership positions in the public sector and other spheres of activity over the next decade.
- Age range 25-35 years (MAXIMUM AGE OF 35 WHEN THE FELLOWSHIP ENDS)
- Graduate from an accredited University
- Completed NYSC
- Show some level of public interest orientation
COMPONENTS OF THE FELLOWSHIP
Kashim Ibrahim Fellowship comprises of four components, namely;
1. Work Placement
Engagement in the work of Kaduna State Government lies at the heart of Kashim Ibrahim Fellowship. Work assignments can offer unparalleled experience working with senior administration officials on ever changing issues and challenges. Fellows will spend a year as full-time, paid assistants to senior Government House Staff, Cabinet members and other top-ranking government officials in State Departments and Agencies.
a. Job Assignments: Fellows responsibilities would range from supporting public service delivery, interagency meetings and designing and implementing state government policies, to drafting speeches for government principals to representing their agencies outside Kaduna State. Fellows’ assignments demand a capacity for quick learning and a willingness to work hard, often on issues outside of their area of expertise. Job assignments are made at the commencement of the Fellowship during “Placement Week”.
b. Remuneration: Fellows will receive salary and benefits equivalent to that of a Special Assistant to the Governor. Kashim Ibrahim Fellows CANNOT receive compensation from any other source during their year of government service. Additionally, accommodation will be provided throughout the course of the Fellowship.
2. Education Programme
The mandatory Education Programme serves as an important aspect of the Fellowship as it is intended to augment and enhance the workplace experience. Fellows are expected to fully undertake the Education Programme which would include LGA tours, Brown Bag Meetings, Speaker Series, domestic policy trips, an international policy trip, workshops and Aspen Institute styled quarterly seminars. During this process, a balance is maintained between personal development, self-reflection and the Nigerian context of leadership. The values and ethics of leadership also form a major component of the learning experience.
The Speaker Series under the Education Programme increase Fellows’ exposure to renowned leaders from the public and private sectors. Each class will meet with notable global individuals who will improve and enrich their understanding and experience of public service. These interactive sessions generally take place during the week, and are off-the-record, lively and frank.
Kashim Ibrahim Fellows are expected to study a range of issues such as education, healthcare, security and transportation, energy, economic development, local governance and urbanisation. These studies provide participants with an intensive learning and broadening experience on the principles and application of leadership, and an opportunity to explore the issues and specific characteristics of African leadership, as well as the global challenges and dimensions of same.
3. Community Service
Community service is a key component of the Kashim Ibrahim Fellowship. Fellows have a strong legacy of service to their communities and participate in community service projects throughout their year in Kaduna Metropolis. Fellows will be expected to pursue projects to assist the urban poor with solid waste management and recycling systems, volunteer teaching, mentoring secondary school students, or participating in the clean-up of local schools etc.
Perhaps the most enriching component of the programme is class fellowship, which often results in enduring friendships and collaborative ventures. Alumni will convene at yearly meetings in Kaduna hosted by the Governor, to eagerly welcome new Fellows into what we hope would be one of the most prestigious networks of professionals and leaders in the state and our nation.
In return for the privilege of participating in the Fellowship year, Fellows are expected to apply what they have learned by contributing to Kaduna State and the nation as greater leaders in their respective communities, professions, and in public service. Fellows are expected to return to their former or new occupations more experienced in public policy, decision-making and better prepared to contribute to state and national affairs, thereby fulfilling the mission of the Fellowship.
- A salary and benefits equivalent to that of Special Assistant to the Governor.
- Accommodation: Boarding (and breakfast) in a nicely furnished one-bedroom apartment for the duration of the Fellowship.
- Do note that application for admission to the Kashim Ibrahim Fellowship is entirely an online process.
- THERE IS NO APPLICATION FEE OR ANY COST TO APPLY.
- Prior to the deadline of 19th March, 2021 you may work on your application at any time and submit it when you are ready. After creating an account and accessing the online application, you can upload materials and your letters of recommendation. Any submission done after midnight of the deadline will be invalid.
- Applicants are required to submit a Résumé/Curriculum Vitae (maximum of 3 pages)
- An essay (minimum of 800 words and 1000 words maximum), and two letters of recommendation – these could be professional or academic. The essay topic is “Vision 2050: Nigeria a Developed Country.”.
- An important part of the application is the Personal Statement (maximum of 200 words) where you also have the opportunity to demonstrate your leadership skills and public service orientation, what you have accomplished and what your goals are for the future as we want to see people who have had a track record of imbibing change and are looking forward to making change as they move forward.
- The most important criterion is to have a real commitment to put your new leadership skills into use to benefit your community, State and Nigeria upon the successful completion of the Fellowship.
For more information visit the official webpage of Kashim Ibrahim Fellowship 2022
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP