The Japan Foundation for United Nations University (JFUNU) Scholarship is available for outstanding applicants from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance, and they will be considered as candidates for the award of the scholarship.
The programme addresses pressing global issues of sustainability, climate change, development, peace-building, and human rights through an innovative interdisciplinary approach that integrates the natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities. The programme is intended for recent graduates, professionals, and practitioners, offering the unique opportunity to study at a global university within the framework of the United Nations. It provides students with the knowledge and skills to make important contributions towards solving global issues, whether through employment by UN agencies, other international organizations, governments, civil society, or the private sector.
About United Nations University
The United Nations University (UNU) is a global think tank and postgraduate teaching organisation headquartered in Japan. The mission of the UN University is to contribute, through collaborative research and education, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems of human survival, development and welfare that are the concern of the United Nations, its Peoples and Member States. In carrying out this mission, the UN University works with leading universities and research institutes in UN Member States, functioning as a bridge between the international academic community.
Aim and Benefits of JFUNU PhD Scholarships
- The JFUNU scholarship covers the full tuition fees, and provides a monthly allowance of 150,000 JPY for living expenses for a maximum of 24 months. Travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student.
Requirements for JFUNU PhD Scholarships Qualification
- Applicants must be from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Applicants who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are NOT eligible for the scholarship.
- Applicants who want to pursue a second PhD degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship.
Documents Required for Application
1) Personal Identification Document The document must be issued by the national government such as passports, birth certificates, Japanese residence card (if applicable) which validates your legal name, nationality, and residential status
. 2) Transcript(s) The transcripts must set out the list of courses/modules studied as well as grades obtained at all undergraduate and postgraduate education, and include the institutional seal or signature. For those who have transferred between institutions, transcripts from both institutions must be submitted.
3) Proof of Awarded Degree The degree certificate must certify the awarded degree and the conferred date (both bachelor’s and master’s degrees).
4) Proof of Expected Graduation and Student Registration Certificate (if applicable) If the applicants expect to earn a master’s degree or higher by mid-August 2022, the official letter/certificate must be issued by the institution stating the applicant’s enrolment (registration) status in the degree programme and the date of expected graduation. It is the applicant’s responsibility to check that the expected graduation date on the letter is accurate and is by mid-August 2022.
5) Additional Documents for Scholarship Application, or a Letter from the Sponsor (if applicable) All applicants who wish to apply for scholarships are required to submit CV.
6) Proof of English Language Proficiency (if applicable) * • IELTS, TOEFL PBT, TOEFL iBT, TOEFL iBT Home Edition: Official score report • IELTS Indicator: Screenshot of the applicant’s account page or the email from IELTS Indicator that indicates the score result and the 15 digit Indicator Score ID * If the applicants completed degree programmes where the language of instruction was English, an official letter must be issued by the institution certifying that English is a medium of instruction and examination at the degree programme.
7) Three Letters of Reference Referees will be contacted directly by UNU-IAS to provide reference. Applicants are not allowed to send reference letters to the Admissions Office.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to United Nations University on forms.office.com to apply
For more details, visit UNU website
March 28, 2022
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP